![]() |
| Always Standing guard for you, for me, for everyone! |
As today is Veteran's Day, it seems only natural to share my gratitude to those who serve in our armed forces and those families who support their loved ones everyday.
So often we take our liberties for granted. So often we fail to recognize those men and women who sacrifice so much on behalf of freedom. But I ask, where would we be without these men and women that stand guard EVERYDAY - not just in times of absolute tragedy or war, but everyday? My husband, Jason, has been serving for the past 16 years in the Utah Army National Guard. He has been deployed twice in our 9 year marriage and is scheduled again for sometime next year. His service has brought our family such pride and it is an honor to be included in such a family of freedom fighters!
![]() |
| The AH-64 Attack Helicopter, Apache Longbow otherwise known as the WIDOWMAKER. |
At times it is scary to think of him flying a machine dubbed the WidowMaker - but it seems only natural that he would choose this as his profession. Ever since he was a little boy, age 4, he wanted to grow up and fly this helicopter. It says alot to me about the man he is that he sacrificed his time and energies to fulfill this dream. He is truly a spectacular human being and I have such adoration for him. Besides, what is sexier than watching your husband fly this massive machine, land and then give his wife a kiss? I am a lucky lady! Also, I have become rather partial to the Apache seeing as it's job is to "seek and destroy". If my husband insists of being a pilot and serving his country, I don't see why he shouldn't fly the deadliest (to those on the ground of course), heavily armed and fearful aircraft in the sky!
| Jason in his gear poised for battle. |
I am grateful to live in our land of America where the freedoms we have enable us to choose our own life's path. I am grateful for men and women of centuries past who saw the need to be free from tyranny and to create a nation where free agency could reside.
I am grateful for past president's (Regan, Bush Senior and George W.) who weren't running our country for popularity or for personal gain but to ensure that we held true to the very principals our nation was founded on. I am grateful that I can go to bed each night and wake up each morning with the feeling of peace in my soul. I am grateful to be married to a man that has solidified my feelings about my country and has aided me into having a great love for the blessings that can only be found in America. I am so grateful to have been born and then to live my life under the banner of freedom. There is not a more beautiful sight that our nation's colors rippling in the wind - for it should remind us all of what our nation stands for, what our men and women fight for and what we should be grateful for everyday. I am grateful for men like George Wahlen...
In 2008, Jason had the unique honor of meeting and interviewing one of his heroes, George Wahlen.
![]() |
| Jason and George (2008) |
George Edward Wahlen was born on 8 August 1924 in Ogden, Utah. He enlisted as an Apprentice Seaman in the U.S. Naval Reserve from that state in June 1943 and received recruit training at Naval Training Station, San Diego. Wahlen was promoted to Seaman Second Class in July and received Hospital Corps Training at San Diego. Promoted to Hospital Apprentice First Class in November and Pharmacist's Mate Third Class that December, late in the year he was assigned to the Training Detachment, Field Medical School Battalion, Fleet Marine Force at Camp Elliott, San Diego. In February 1944, Wahlen left for overseas duty with the Fifth Marine Division. In November 1944, while serving in the Pacific, he was promoted to Pharmacist's Mate Second Class.
As a medical corpsman with the Second Battalion, Twenty-Sixth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, Wahlen participated in the Battle of Iwo Jima. On 26 February 1945, although wounded himself, Wahlen advanced forward of the front lines to help a wounded Marine and assisted casualties in an adjacent platoon, disregarding his own safety amidst concentrated gun and mortar fire. Wounded again on 2 March, he refused to leave the battlefield and on the following day moved with his company across 600 yards of open terrain in the face of heavy fire. He was helping others when he sustained a crippling third wound, but crawled 50 yards to administer aid to another fallen Marine. For his "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life," he was awarded the Medal of Honor. On 5 October 1945 Wahlen was presented with the award by President Harry S. Truman during Nimitz Day ceremonies at the White House.
In December 1945, Pharmacist's Mate Second Class Wahlen was discharged from the Navy. He later joined the U.S. Army, served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, and retired with the rank of Major. Following his military service, Major Wahlen worked for the Veterans Administration where he remained active until his death two years ago. Jason was honored with flying in the honorary flight the day of his funeral and it is a memory that will forever be with him.
Mr. Wahlen was an extradorinary man - our armed forces are full of men whose valor and dedication equal that of Mr. Wahlen. Most go through life without special recognition - without the applause they deserve - but they do it anyway... In fact, there is a song that captures these thoughts - by Toby Keith: American Solider.. Here are the lyrics,
I’m just tryin’ to be a father, raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother, everythin’ to everyone
Up and at ‘em bright and early, I’m all business in my suit
Yeah I’m dressed up for success, from my head down to my boots
I don’t do it for money, there’s bills that I can’t pay
I don’t do it for the glory, I just do it anyway
Providing for our future’s, my responsibility
Yeah I’m real good under pressure, being all that I can be
And I can’t call in sick on Mondays when the weekend’s been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays, and sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready, when the wolf growls at the door
Hey I’m solid, hey I’m steady, hey I’m true down to the core.
And I will always do my duty no matter what the price
I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh and I don’t want to die for you, but if dyin’s asked of me
I’ll bear that cross with honor, cause freedom don’t come free.
I’m an American Soldier an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters, I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy, I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight
American Soldier, I’m and American, Soldier.
An American Soldier an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters, I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy, I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight
American Soldier, I’m an American, an American, an American, Soldier.
I’m just tryin’ to be a father, raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother, everythin’ to everyone
Up and at ‘em bright and early, I’m all business in my suit
Yeah I’m dressed up for success, from my head down to my boots
I don’t do it for money, there’s bills that I can’t pay
I don’t do it for the glory, I just do it anyway
Providing for our future’s, my responsibility
Yeah I’m real good under pressure, being all that I can be
And I can’t call in sick on Mondays when the weekend’s been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays, and sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready, when the wolf growls at the door
Hey I’m solid, hey I’m steady, hey I’m true down to the core.
And I will always do my duty no matter what the price
I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh and I don’t want to die for you, but if dyin’s asked of me
I’ll bear that cross with honor, cause freedom don’t come free.
I’m an American Soldier an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters, I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy, I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight
American Soldier, I’m and American, Soldier.
An American Soldier an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters, I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy, I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight
American Soldier, I’m an American, an American, an American, Soldier.




Amen.
ReplyDelete